Last Updated: 01 November 2016
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1956 with the inception of the Institute to produce high quality engineers the field of Mechanical Engineering to cater the needs of the newly Independent India. Since the Institute became a Deemed University in 1985, the department has increasingly focused on post graduate education and research. The Department offers undergraduate programs leading to B.E. Mechanical Engineering, B.E. Mechanical Production Engineering, B.E. Mechatronics Engineering, Integrated B.E. Mechanical MBA; Postgraduate programs leading to M.E. CAD/CAM & Robotics, M.E. Production & Industrial Engineering, M.E. Thermal Engineering program; and Doctoral program leading to PhD Degree in emerging areas of research. The B.E. Mechanical Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The department has aligned its curriculum with that of Trinity College Dublin (University of Dublin, Ireland) as part of the academic collaboration to impart global standard education to the students. This collaboration offers exchange programmes for students and faculty, joint research initiatives and dual campus degrees where students can complete half of their course at Thapar University's Patiala campus and the other half in Dublin. The Department aims to produce quality professionals in Mechanical Engineering to compete globally and excel by carrying out basic and applied research in emerging areas by forging strong industry - institute interaction. The Department is also notable for its laurels in international forums like Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) Formula Student, Europe and has an active staff/student exchange program with the University of Waterloo, Canada. The Department has been able to attract numerous prestigious research and infrastructural grants in recent years from agencies such as AICTE, DRDO, DST, UGC, to list a few. The department is having high quality laboratories in areas of Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies, Heat & Mass Transfer, I.C engine, Manufacturing, Automation/Robotics, Computer Aided Designs etc. The faculty and staff are actively involved in fostering industrial collaborations through training programs, workshops, consulting projects etc.
News and Updates
- Dr Ravinder Kumar Duvedi will be receiving Innovative Student Projects Award for his remarkable PhD thesis work “Tool Positioning Algorithms for Improved Machining of Triangulated Surfaces”. The award will be presented to him in the Award Ceremony to be held during Academy Annual Convention on Dec 8, 2016 at Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad. Click here for more information.
- 5 DAYS TRAINING PROGRAM on AutoCAD and Microsoft Excel (ACME-2016) from 6th – 10th June, 2016
- The Second International Conference on Powder, Granule and Bulk Solids: Innovations and Applications (PGBSIA 2016) is going to be held in the historic, royal city of Jaipur (Rajasthan), India from December 1 to 3, 2016. http://www.pgbsia.com/
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology University and University of Wollongong (UoW), Australia has recently signed a MoU - mainly based on research/scholarly activities.
- Dr. Ashish Singla recently visited Sweden during June-July 2015 as a visiting researcher in the University of Gävle, Sweden.
- Dr. Ashish Singla has started research collaboration in the field of Exoskeletons with the group of Prof. Gulvinder Virk, (Professor of Robotics and the Built Environment, University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, SWEDEN). His three current masters students of CAD/CAM are working on different research problems related to Physical Assistive Robots.
- During his Sweden Visit, Dr. SIngla also visited KTH, Stockholm (Sweden) and ETH, Zurich (Switzerland). In ETH, He visited the lab of Prof. Roland Siegwart, Professor of Robotics, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, who is one of world renowned researcher in the field of robotics.
- BE (Mechanical Engg.) student, Prakash Kumar Singh from Mechanical Engineering 2014 batch has scored 34 All India Rank in GATE-2015
- The Team Fateh Formula Racing Team has secured overall rank of 63rd out of 97 qualified team in the international event "Formula Student UK 2015", held in Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire, London, UK, from 8th - 12th July 2015. Click here for more information.
- Jul 05, 2015: Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology University alumnus, Tarun Sharda (BE-Mechanical Engineering : 2003-2007), scored 290th rank in IAS . Click here for more information.
- See all updates