UHU003: PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION
Course Objective: To introduce the students to effective professional communication. The student will be exposed to effective communication strategies and different modes of communication. The student will be able to analyze his/ her communication behavior and that of the others. By learning and adopting the right strategies, the student will be able to apply effective communication skills, professionally and socially.
Effective Communication: Meaning, Barriers, Types of communication and Essentials. Interpersonal Communication skills.
Effective Spoken Communication: Understanding essentials of spoken communication, Public speaking, Discussion Techniques, Presentation strategies.
Effective Professional and Technical writing: Paragraph development, Forms of writing, Abstraction and Summarization of a text; Technicalities of letter writing, internal and external organizational communication. Technical reports, proposals and papers.
Effective non-verbal communication: Knowledge and adoption of the right non-verbal cues of body language, interpretation of the body language in professional context. Understanding Proxemics and other forms of non-verbal communication.
Communicating for Employment: Designing Effective Job Application letter and resumes; Success strategies for Group discussions and Interviews.
Communication Networks in Organizations: Types, barriers and overcoming the barriers.
1. Pre -assessment of spoken and written communication and feedback.
2. Training for Group Discussions through simulations and role plays.
3. Training for effective presentations.
4. Project based team presentations.
5. Proposals and papers-review and suggestions.
Minor Project (if any): Team projects on technical report writing and presentations.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLO):
1. Understand and appreciate the need of communication training.
2. Use different strategies of effective communication.
3. Select the most appropriate mode of communication for a given situation.
4. Speak assertively and effectively.
5. Correspond effectively through different modes of written communication.
6. Write effective reports, proposals and papers.
7. Present himself/herself professionally through effective resumes and interviews.
1. Lesikar R.V and Flately M.E., Basic Business Communication Skills for the Empowering the Internet Generation. Tata Mc Graw Hill. New Delhi (2006).
2. Raman,M & Sharma, S., Technical Communication Principles and Practice, Oxford University Press New Delhi.(2011).
3. Mukherjee H.S., Business Communication-Connecting at Work, Oxford University Press New Delhi, (2013).
1. Butterfield, Jeff., Soft Skills for everyone, Cengage Learning New Delhi, (2013).
2. Robbins, S.P., & Hunsaker, P.L., Training in Interpersonal Skills, Prentice Hall of India New Delhi, (2008).
DiSianza, J.J & Legge, N.J., Business and Professional Communication, Pearson Education India New Delhi, (2009