Mechanical Engineering Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1956 with the inception of the Institute to produce high quality engineers in the field of Mechanical Engineering to cater the needs of the newly Independent India. Since 1985, the department has increasingly focused on post graduate education and research. The Department offers undergraduate programs leading to B.E. Mechanical Engineering, B.E. Mechanical Production Engineering, B.E. Mechatronics Engineering, Integrated B.E. Mechanical MBA; Postgraduate programs leading to M.E. CAD/CAM & Robotics, M.E. Production & Industrial Engineering, M.E. Thermal Engineering program; and Doctoral program leading to PhD Degree in emerging areas of research. The B.E. Mechanical Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The department has aligned its curriculum with that of Trinity College Dublin (University of Dublin, Ireland) as part of the academic collaboration to impart global standard education to the students. This collaboration offers exchange programmes for students and faculty, joint research initiatives and dual campus degrees where students can complete half of their course at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology's Patiala campus and the other half in Dublin. The Department aims to produce quality professionals in Mechanical Engineering to compete globally and excel by carrying out basic and applied research in emerging areas by forging strong industry - institute interaction. The Department is also notable for its laurels in international forums like Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) Formula Student, Europe and has an active staff/student exchange program with the University of Waterloo, Canada. The Department has been able to attract numerous prestigious research and infrastructural grants in recent years from agencies such as AICTE, DRDO, DST, UGC, to list a few. The department is having high quality laboratories in areas of Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies, Heat & Mass Transfer, I.C engine, Manufacturing, Automation/Robotics, Computer Aided Designs etc. The faculty and staff are actively involved in fostering industrial collaborations through training programs, workshops, consulting projects etc.
News and Updates
- Thapar Alumni in UPSC 2017 : Sachin Gupta, a mechanical engineer (class of 2013) from TIET, Patiala has secured third All India Rank in the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) examinations 2017. Click here for more information.
- TIET alumnus makes us proud! Congratulations Prof. Nitin Sharma on receiving National Science Foundation CAREER Award, and on discovering a path breaking cure for patients with partial paralysis. Click here for more information.
- Advertisement for NTPC project staff
- To help the newly admitted students in Undergraduate program to settle into Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology life, the Mechanical Engineering Department offered an Orientation Programme on July 25, 2017. Click here for more information
- Team Fateh Formula Racing Team of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology to participate in Formula Student ITALY 2017. Click here for more information.
- Venue for entrance of PhD July 2017 Admission to be held on July 10-11, 2017
- A showcase event of the Final year capstone projects was organized on 5th May 2017 in the Auditorium, by the Mechanical Engineering Department. This event featured presentations of design posters and demonstration of their developed products. The event was Coordinated by Dr. Hiralal Bhowmick and Dr. Gulshan Kumar and a total of 29 capstone project groups participated in the event. The showcase event was judged by a panel of experts from the industry and institute of high repute. Top four projects were rewarded with Cash prize money and certificate of appreciation. Click here for the event photographs.
- General Motors, Tata Motors, and now the President of Nissan Motors India! Congratulations to Mr. Ankush Arora, a TIET alumni (1985-89) in Mechanical Engineering, who just added another feather in his cap with this remarkable feat!.
- Dr Atanu Das has received the "Weldwell Speciality Award" from Indian Institute of Welding for the best PhD thesis submitted in the field of welding in 2016.
- Team Fateh has achieved 21st position (out of 53) in Formula Bharat 2017. This is the best rank that Team Fateh has ever achieved in SAE event and they look forward to improve their performance in Formula SAE Italy
- Notice for Ph.D Interview in Mechanical Engineering Department.
- 2nd International conference PGBSIA2016 organized by the Department of Mechanical Engineering has been held successfully in Jaipur, India during December 1-3, 2016. The conference photographs can be found here (Click)
- Dr Ravinder Kumar Duvedi will be receiving Innovative Student Projects Award for his remarkable PhD thesis work “Tool Positioning Algorithms for Improved Machining of Triangulated Surfaces”. The award will be presented to him in the Award Ceremony to be held during Academy Annual Convention on Dec 8, 2016 at Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad. Click here for more information.
- 5 DAYS TRAINING PROGRAM on AutoCAD and Microsoft Excel (ACME-2016) from 6-10 June 2016
- The Second International Conference on Powder, Granule and Bulk Solids: Innovations and Applications (PGBSIA 2016) is going to be held in the historic, royal city of Jaipur (Rajasthan), India from December 1 to 3, 2016. http://www.pgbsia.com/
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology and University of Wollongong (UoW), Australia has recently signed a MoU - mainly based on research/scholarly activities.
- Dr. Ashish Singla recently visited Sweden during June-July 2015 as a visiting researcher in the University of Gävle, Sweden.
- Dr. Ashish Singla has started research collaboration in the field of Exoskeletons with the group of Prof. Gulvinder Virk, (Professor of Robotics and the Built Environment, University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, SWEDEN). His three current masters students of CAD/CAM are working on different research problems related to Physical Assistive Robots.
- During his Sweden Visit, Dr. SIngla also visited KTH, Stockholm (Sweden) and ETH, Zurich (Switzerland). In ETH, He visited the lab of Prof. Roland Siegwart, Professor of Robotics, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, who is one of world renowned researcher in the field of robotics.
- BE (Mechanical Engg.) student, Prakash Kumar Singh from Mechanical Engineering 2014 batch has scored 34 All India Rank in GATE-2015
- The Team Fateh Formula Racing Team has secured overall rank of 63rd out of 97 qualified team in the international event "Formula Student UK 2015", held in Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire, London, UK, from 8th - 12th July 2015. Click here for more information.
- Jul 05, 2015: Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology alumnus, Tarun Sharda (BE-Mechanical Engineering : 2003-2007), scored 290th rank in IAS . Click here for more information.
- See all updates