The Department of Civil Engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology is widely recognized for its long and prolific history.The department came into its being in 1956 and is as old as the Institute itself. Today, the department has reached to a level par excellence by way of contributing to outstanding academics, a rich legacy of alumni and facilitating the basic needs of our society through cutting edge research initiatives.We prepare our students to conceptualize, plan, design, construct and implement facilities meant for catering societal needs for today and tomorrow, and that is how students understand what civil engineering is all about.
For undergraduates, we offer a B.E degree as well as B.E –MBA integrated degree. Our undergraduate curriculum is a perfect balance between theoretical requirements and practical aspects of not just the broad disciplines of civil engineering such as structure, surveying, geotechnical, transportation, and water resources engineering but also provides the management and entrepreneurial scope in its coverage. Our faculty has fundamental competencies to teach in all the above fields along with the support of our dedicated staff members. Hand-on projects, field trips and industry-academic interaction together make our students highly sought after graduates by the employers at the end of the course.
The B.E. program is accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology and Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, and we consider this as our important milestone, letting our degree program to be recognized on national and international platform. We run two masters programs: Structure and Infrastructure both purpose-built so as to prepare our students for a career in industry, government or academia. The department is known for aggressively encouraging research activities like Ph.D. supervision and sponsored research projects, sometimes synergized by partnerships with other departments such as Biotechnology, Mechanical Engineering. Our state-of-the-art research and instructional labs, facilitate fruition of these research ideas. Our labs have kept pace with the changing times by way of modernizing and upgrading to suit the requirements of departmental thrust areas such as Health monitoring of structure, development of sustainable concrete, Reliability based design, Dispersion modeling and Fluvial Hydraulics, Pavement management system and road safety auditing, computational geotechnical modeling.
In addition to this, these are also used for numerous consultancy and testing works. Today, nearly 500 undergraduates, 90 graduates, and 50 Ph.D scholars are enrolled for building their future with us.We are committed to providing the highest quality education to our students in civil engineering and will always thrive to be at the forefront of imparting what we aim for.
Department Highlights / Events / News
LIST OF CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR INTERVIEW TO PhD PROGRAMMES
MAJOR LABORATORY FACILITIES
CED_2017 Graduating Survey
CED_2018_1 Graduating Survey
CED_2018_2 Graduating Survey
CED_2018_3 Graduating Survey
CED_2018_4 Graduating Survey
CED_alumni survey form
CED_Action Plan to improve CED CLO
CED_Continuous improvement procedure
CED_PO-Minutes of Meetings
- Department of Civil Engineering has been awarded with 12 road safety consultancy services projects funded by Central & various State Governments (2013-2018). Presently Department is involved with Highway Engineering Projects in the state of Jammu & Kashmir (2), Punjab (2), Himachal Pradesh (1), Bihar (1), Odisha (4), West Bengal (1) & Rajasthan (1) . Road Safety Audit team comprises of 4 Faculty members of Department: Dr. Naveen Kwatra, Dr. Prem Pal Bansal, Prof. Rajesh Pathak, and Dr. Tanuj Chopra.
- Dr. Rafat Siddique, Senior Professor has been appointed as Editor of Journal of Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier) in Jan 2016.
- Dr. Prem Pal Bansal, Associate Professor has been awarded with best teacher award by Indian Society of Technical Education in 2016.
- Dr. Prem Pal Bansal, Associate Professor has been awarded with the best paper for the construction techniques in ICI Journal by Indian Concrete Institute in 2017.
- Dr. Dwarka Nath Ratha, Associate Professor has been awarded with best theoretical oriented paper award by American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) in 2013.
- Dr. Gurbir Kaur, Assistant Professor has been awarded with Thomas Howard medal by Institution of Civil Engineers, UK, on 9 October 2015 for paper entitling, "Flexural performance of fibrous concrete with cement addition".
- Dr. Richa Babbar, Assistant Professor has been awarded with the prestigious Indo-US fellowship for Women in STEMM, 2018 for conducting 6 month research at Purdue University.
- Dr. Sarbjit Singh, Associate Professor has been awarded with G. M. Nawathe Best Paper Award during HYDRO 2015 International Conference at IIT Roorkee by The Indian Society for Hydraulics (ISH).
- Dr. AB Danie Roy, Assistant Professor has been awarded with best young researcher Award at RCCS 2015.
- Dr. Sarbjit Singh, Associate Professor has been selected as Member District Level Expert Appraisal Committee (DEAC) notified under “Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change, Government of India notification No. S. O. 190(E) dated 20.04.2016”
Students (last 2 years)
- Three students of 2018 pass-out batch of BE Civil Engineering Mr. Jatin Goyal, Mr. Nimish Sharma, Mr. Manish Kumar & one student of ME Structural Engineering Mr. Hitesh Gupta get selected in Engineers India Limited (EIL), Navratna PSU of Government of India under Ministry of Petroleum & Natural gas with an annual package of 14.0 lakhs.
- When we speak on sustainable innovations, Karan Chawla’s (ME Structural Engineering, 2018 pass-out student) eco-friendly bricks is worth a mention. With his start-up Roschcrete Technologies Private Limited which conserves energy, he fast tracks towards a bright future.
- 6 students of 2018 pass-out batch of BE Civil Engineering, 2 students of ME Structural Engineering & 2 students of ME Infrastructure Engineering has been selected by SYSTRA MVA Consulting (India) Private Limited for various National & International Highways & Railways Projects.
- 4 ME Infrastructure students (2017-19 batch) have been selected for complete one year research work in CSIR-Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi.
- Mr. Abhishek Baghla secured AIR-4 in Civil Engineering category in Engineering Services Examination 2018 (IES, UPSC) in first attempt.
Department gets two research projects
Dr. Shruti Sharma and Dr. Dwarikanath Ratha, Assistant Professors in the Department get major UGC projects
Civil Engineering graduates of Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology get top positions in All India Engineering Services examination
Mr. Anirudh Bansal(1050204)of 2009 batch of Civil Engineering tops All Indian Engineering Services Examination. Mr. Rajinder Kumar Garg(1050235)of 2009 batch of Civil Engineering stood 7th and Mr. Ajay Kumar Garg of 2010 batch stood 9th in All Indian Engineering Services Examination. Mr. Sunny Romana (1050242) of 2009 batch of Civil Engineering stood 21st in All Indian Engineering Services Examination
Eleven sponsored research projects ongoing in the Department.
Resources to the tune of Rs.39.00 lakhs generated through consultancy during the last financial year.
Dr. Prem pal Bansal got major project (77 lakh) by Department of Science & Technology, Delhi.
Department gets an AICTE MODROBS project for Transportation Engineering Laboratory worth Rs. 15.00 Lakhs
7th National Conference on Wind Engineering (VII-NCWE)
The Department of Civil Engineering is going to organise National Conference on Wind Engineering (VII-NCWE) at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology , Patiala on November 21-22, 2014.
Road Safety Audit Consultancy Projects of NHAI
- Department of Civil Engineering has been appointed as Safety Consultant by National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for Four Laning of Kiratpur Sahib-Nerchowk Section of NH-21 from km 73.200 to km 186.500 in the state of Himachal Pradesh for Development, Construction and Post COD Maintenance Phase in September 2013. The project highway (84.38 km) will run through the new four lane alignment for 58.51 km & widening of existing 25.87 km including two major new bypasses at Bilaspur and Sundernagar along with 5 new tunnels and 15 major & 29 minor bridges. The project will be on DBFOT basis with M/s IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd with total cost of Rs 1818.47 crore for concession period of 28 years.
- Department of Civil Engineering has been appointed as Safety Consultant by National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for Four Laning of Jammu-Udhampur Section of NH-1 from km 15.200 to km 67.000 in the state of Jammu & Kashmir for Development, Construction and Post COD Maintenance Phase in July 2014.